.

.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Aundance Yum!: Side Dishes (banchan)

You come to learn the different types of side dishes at Korean meals, while living here. There are ones you love and hate. Then there are those you just aren't ever sure about. Today I am taking you into the area of side dishes for Abundance Yum! I hope this helps you see the variety that are out there and maybe gives you an idea of what to try next time.

1. The Seoul Patch: First, I take you to a good post that can give you a general idea of how banchan appears at the meal. Many little dishes with varying pickled or steamed things. Check the post for good pics and also a show of other various Korean food.

2. Zen Kimchi: Coming from the power blogger himself is an article highlighting his 10 favorite banchan. As you scroll down things are looking good, but I'm not a fan of the marinated squid or crab. However, this gives a great breadth of the variety and also what makes them so yummy.

3. Alien's Day Out: Looking to make some at home? Here we have a kidney bean recipe that indeed turns out to look quite tasty.

4. "Wife" in Korea: Again another recipe, but this time using anchovies. I'm not a fan of this kind of banchan. But perhaps you have wondered how the little fishes turn into a side dish.


My favorite side dishes are the cucumber pickles or ones made from potatoes. It all depends on the restaurant and what is in season, I guess. Have any comments on what your favorite banchan is?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm interested in Korean food too. I wanna use "Wife" in Korea's blog but I think there's something wrong with it at the moment. Do you know her? Maybe you could let her know. When I go to the homepage I can't see any photos or titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know here. Hmm it is a tumblr site so maybe try joining TUmblr first and then click the link?

    ReplyDelete